True Temperature Calibration

True Temperature Calibration

In order to maintain consistent quality of manufactured products, it is necessary to perform periodic calibrations on process sensors and instruments. There are several philosophies for calibration of measurement and control circuits. The basis of the chosen method should always be to include the temperature sensor.

It does not make any sense only to calibrate and adjust the electronic part of the loop. A rule of thumb says that only 10% of the total error is in the electronics, the other 90% is due to the sensing element. So, it is essential that the temperature sensor is tested, meaning physically exposed to the desired temperature. A dry-block calibrator is an easy method to create the ‘process’ temperature.

The output from the sensor can be taken from anywhere in the loop. And the rest of the loop may be tested electronically.

1. The raw sensor output
2. After a transmitter (4-20 mA)
3. Manual reading on an indicator
4. The control data in the control room

Source by: Ametek

Create an Account

Already have an account? Login